Thursday, December 26, 2013

The Big Hill




I hate to divulge my age, but I have to say that I haven't been sledding in over 40 some years.  I remember a park near our house where I grew up that we would go sledding as kids.  I also remember going to my Grandma's house in Portage, WI for Thanksgiving and Christmas.  There was a very steep hill from the hospital that all of us cousins would tote the toboggan up and take a ride down.  That was some trip!  And a bit dangerous as it was a city street we went down crossing several streets as we went.

Where we live now there is a park across the ravine with a nice hill.  The kids like to go sledding there especially when we have a bit of snow like this year.  The ravine is a nice place to take Sebastian for a walk.  In winter, not too many people take the trail through the woods and so I can let him loose.  He loves to run through the snow.  Last week, I took him down the hill to the ravine and we walked west to the end of the trail and out the ravine. We then headed around the block and walked on the other side of the ravine going east until we reached the park and the snow hill.  It was empty this day, no kids in sight.  On the top of the hill to the right was an orange plastic sled in pieces.  On the left side of the hill was a black sled.  Hmmm....I wondered what was wrong with it that it was left here.  It looked fine.  I looked down the hill and around and could not see anyone who  the sled could belong to.  An urge came over me and I got on the sled and with Sebastian in tow we went down the hill.  It was quite fun.  I decided it needed a second try and so I toted the sled up the hill and this time I let Sebastian loose and went down the hill with him running behind me.  I decided it was worth one more ride and so I went up again for a third ride down the hill.  Then it was time to finish our walk through this end of the ravine and head for home.  Another adventurous and memory jogging day.

No comments:

Post a Comment