Sunday, May 25, 2014

Spring is Finally Here

Spring is finally here.  That means little ones are arriving.  This year I went out to one of the ponds I usually find goslings and ducklings and I was not disappointed. There were 3 geese families, one even having 11 goslings.

And there was one duck family with 10 ducklings. 


I was early this year, as I even found nests with eggs in.  Most of the nests at this park are rather flat and right out in the open.  I was surprised to learn that the geese don't sit on the eggs all the time.  However, they stay rather close and keep a watchful eye.


I have gone back to check on the goslings and ducklings every few days.  The 3 geese families are intact, however the ducklings don't seem to fair so well.  Just one day later there were only 5 left of the 10 and today there are only 4.   It is probably because there are more geese in the park and they are larger and more fearsome acting when you get close.  The ducks are smaller and their little ones are so little and seem so fragile.


No comments:

Post a Comment